Ramakrishna Paramahamsa Birth Anniversary: Gadadhar Chattopadhyay, who came to be known as Ramakrishna Paramhamsa was born on 18th February 1836. He hailed from a poor Brahmin family from Kamarpukur village, Hooghly district, West Bengal.
Many say that the saint was given the title of ‘Paramahamsa’ (an honor bestowed to Hindu spiritual tutors who have attained enlightenment) by his Vedantic guru and monk, Totapuri from Punjab.
The preachings of yogi engrossed the atheist Narendranath Datta who turned into his most well-known disciple, Swami Vivekananda.
Here are some interesting facts about the spiritual guru Ramakrishna Paramhamsa.
- Ramakrishna Paramhamsa went to school till the age of 12 years later he did have an interest in the formal education
- At the age of 23 years, he got married to Saradamoni Mukhopadhyay, who later came to be known as Maa Sarada
- Apart from being well-versed in the Puranas, the Mahabharata, the Ramayana, and the Bhagavata Purana, Ramakrishna was devoted to Goddess Kali
- The disciples of Ramakrishna Paramhansa believed that he was an avatar or incarnation of Lord Vishnu
- Shri Ramakrishna Paramhamsa suffered from clergyman’s throat, which steadily turned into throat cancer and he took his last breath on 16th August 1886