World Organ Donation Day 2021: Human life is a gift. Helping people preserve or protect their lives is the noblest form of kindness. Every year, 13th August is observed as world organ donation day. Regarding organ donation, various misconceptions exist because of personal, social, religious reasons. Hence, this day aims to spread awareness about organ donation and to celebrate the act of organ donations.
What is Organ Donation and what can we donate?
Organ donation is defined as the process of donating one’s organs after death or while alive and permitting its harvesting after a legal agreement. By this, we can help the people who are in need of organ transplantation to treat their health problems.
In India, this noble procedure is defined and regulated by the Transplantation of Human Organs and Tissues Act, 1994.
Organ donation is of two types.
- Deceased donor organ donation: This kind of organ donation takes place upon the individual’s death
- Living donor organ donation: This kind of donation takes place while a person is alive. In this particular case, only the organs whose absence will not hamper the healthy functioning of the body are permitted to donate.
A deceased person can donate organs like the heart, kidneys, intestines, lungs, pancreas, and liver. They can also donate tissues like tendons, heart valves, skin, cornea, bone. A living person can donate a portion of the liver, a part of the pancreas, and one kidney.
Who can become a donor?
Any individual can become a donor irrespective of their gender, caste, or color. The age of the donor should be 18 years or above. A donor will be thoroughly screened for health complications and transmissible diseases to ensure the health of the donor, the recipient. Upon registration, a donor card will be issued to the donor. The pledging process is unified and a pledged person can un-pledge also.
How to become a donor?
To become an organ donor, do the below process
- Sign up on the NOTTO’s official website, notto.gov.in
- Download and fill the Form-7 As per THOA
- Send that filled copy to the address National Organ and Tissue Transplant Organization, 4th floor, NIOP building, Safdarjung Hospital Campus, New Delhi-110029