Kartik Purnima: The Full Moon Day of the Karthik month of the Hindu calendar is known as Kartik Purnima. People observe a day-long fast, worship the gods, and take holy baths in the sacred waters of rivers such as the Ganga, the Godavari, the Yamuna, the Cauvery, the Narmada, etc. The day also marks the birth of the Matsya Avatar of Lord Vishnu.
Kartik Purnima 2022 Date
Karthika Purnima 2022 date is November 8 and the Karthika Purnima Tithi begins at 4.15 pm on November 7, 2022, and ends at 4.31 pm on November 8, 2022.
Kartik Purnima Vrat Rules
- Wake up early and cleanse yourself by adding a few drops of Gangajal while bathing
- Wear clean clothes
- Perform Arghya to the Sun god
- Don’t eat wheat, rice, and lentils on the Vrat performing day
- Chant mantras dedicated to the Ishta Devta and seek blessings
Kartik Purnima Vrat Katha
The three sons of the demon Tarakasura – Tarakaksha, Kamalaksha, and Vidyunmali – wanted to avenge the Devatas as Lord Kartikeya killed their father. The trio performed penance and pleased by this, Lord Brahma gave a unique multi-layered boon that could avert easy death.
Therefore, the trio built three forts – one in heaven, one on earth, and one in the sky – with gold, iron, and silver, respectively. All these three forts (called Tripura) would align once during the year. However, this alignment would also give a chance to destroy the fort but it could be destroyed only by hitting one arrow. Lord Shiva appeared as Tripurari and killed Tripurasura (the trio) with a single arrow to restore peace.
Also, Check: Vinayaka Chaturthi Vrat Katha
Kartik Purnima Puja Vidhi
People worship Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu, or Lord Karthikeya on the day of Karthika Pournami.
- Start the Karthik Purnima Puja by offering your prayers to Lord Ganesha
- Sprinkle some Gangajal on a wooden chowki and cover it with a piece of yellow or red cloth
- Place an idol of Lord Ganesha and Lord Vishnu or Shiva or Karthikeya
- Light on oil or cow ghee Diya
- Offer Chandan, Kumkum, Janeu, Durva grass, Deepam, Dhoopam, and Naivedhyam
- Seek the blessings of Lord Ganesha and repeat the same procedure for Lord Shiva, Lord Vishnu, and Lord Karthikeya’s puja
- Instead of Durva grass offer Tulasi to Lord Vishnu, Bilva to Lord Shiva, and Panchamrit or flowers to Lord Kartikeya
- Read the Kartik Purnima Vrat Katha and later perform the Aarti, Namaskar